Have you fallen in the past year or do you have a fear of falling? Falling is not an uncommon occurrance for adults 65 and older. In fact, about 1/3 of the population 65 years old and older falls each year and that percentage increases with each year of age. In 2015, South Dakota ranked 3rd in the nation for fall related deaths, with over half of those deaths occurring at home.
- $30 billion is spent annually on healthcare related to falls
- The average cost of a fall injury is $19,440
- By the age of 80, over ½ of seniors fall annually
- 53% of older adults who are discharged for fall-related hip fractures will experience another fall within 6 months
- Even falls without injury can cause fear of falling leading to physical decline, depression, and social isolation thereby increasing the chance of another fall
Preventing Falls In the Home
There’s good news! Falling does not have to be inevitable as we age. Goodcare AtHome Rehab understands that falls are a great source of worry for our clients, their families, and caregivers. We have developed a comprehensive and unmatched approach to fall reduction, specifically addressing the root cause of falls in the home and how most falls can be prevented.
Since falls are a result of complex changes that occur as we age, our individualized and specialized falls reduction approach is a crucial step in the right direction to not becoming a statistic.